Hey, I'm finally blogging. Thanks Jason for getting that sorted out.
I just wanted to add a couple other extra reads if you guys are looking for good short stories to help you with your craft.
In chapter 2 of our text, is the story "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. It's one of my all time favorites. The rest of the book of the same title is just as good.
As far as classics go, I also am a fan of Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado." Poe also writes a good essay (I think) on the creation of a short story. A lot of it just bolsters what we've learned from our curren text. But here's links if you want to look.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/poe/composition.html (The actual essay)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philosophy_of_Composition#Poe.27s_philosophy_of_composition (The wiki cliffs notes)
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
While you're at this Poe website you guys should also take a look at Poe's Review of Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales. There is a really good section on the artistic quality and nature of the short story, or, as Poe refers to it, the tale.
Post a Comment